Re: New ACPI diffs ready for testing

From: Ruslan Ermilov <ru_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 09:13:43 +0300
On Mon, Apr 28, 2003 at 09:24:44PM -0600, M. Warner Losh wrote:
> In message: <20030428214221.GA1152_at_athlon.pn.xcllnt.net>
>             Marcel Moolenaar <marcel_at_xcllnt.net> writes:
> : On Mon, Apr 28, 2003 at 04:49:35PM -0400, John Baldwin wrote:
> : >
> : > On 26-Apr-2003 Marcel Moolenaar wrote:
> : > > The best way to cross-build is by starting a cross-world, which you
> : > > then abort after the headers are installed in the object tree. This
> : > > should leave a usable set of cross-tools you can use for buildkernel.
> : >
> : > It would be nice if there was a 'buildtools' target that did just
> : > enough to allow one to do a buildkernel.  Maybe 'buildkerneltools'
> : > and 'buildworldtools' targets where the latter let you cross-build
> : > individual libraries or binaries
> :
> : Agreed. In multiple cases I just wanted to populate the object tree
> : and I was forced to start a buildworld. I don't think you need the
> : headers in the object tree for a kernel build though.
> :
> : BTW: If we add these targets, we may want to make sure that targets
> : like "everything" actually use those bits. I noticed that a make
> : everything does not do a cross-build. It may be pilot error. I can't
> : recall. The point is that if you allow people to setup the object
> : tree for cross-building, people will start to use targets that do
> : partial builds (ie skip the part of populating the object tree) and
> : expect those targets to actually do the cross-build. The build
> : system will grow even more weirdness if we don't do that...
>
> For 'complicated' builds like this, I typically just do a make
> buildworld -DNOCLEAN...  'make everything' traditionally has used host
> tools...  Since this builds < 30 minutes for me, I've not been too
> motivated to fix things.

`make everything' traditionally runs in the cross environment,
if it has been made available by running cross-tools:

everything:
        _at_echo
        _at_echo "--------------------------------------------------------------"
        _at_echo ">>> stage 4: building everything.."
        cd ${.CURDIR}; ${WMAKE} par-all
                         ^^^^^

In fact, it's exactly what corresponds to the "all" stage of
buildworld.

Cheers,
--
Ruslan Ermilov		Sysadmin and DBA,