RE: URGENT HELP REQUIRED

From: Matt <matt_at_xtaz.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 15:25:46 +0100 (BST)
CARTER Anthony said:
> I DID compile with make.conf containing CPU_TYPE=p4...
>
> maybe an avenue...how do I fix without destroying everything? I AM on a
> PIII
> box (thought it was PIV). :(

I would say you have two choices. Either boot from a cdrom/floppy etc and
basically go through the installation again but do not newfs any
partitions. Just install things like the base system. This will make it
overwrite all the binaries etc with working versions (although old ones).
You can then cvsup and buildworld again afterwards.

Alternatively if you have more than one bsd box and your current one is up
and stable enough to run a make installworld from an NFS mount you could
compile world on one box and install via an NFS mounted /usr/src,
/usr/obj.

There may be other solutions but I would say your system is currently
quite seriously hosed and those two are the only ways I can think of right
now to get it back.

Also as for my information about unloading kernel and booting old kernel I
have not had to do this for a long time and so may have had the syntax
slightly wrong. I apologise :) But there is a proper way to do it where it
will load the old modules properly.

--
email: matt_at_xtaz.co.uk - web: http://xtaz.co.uk/
Hardware, n.: The parts of a computer system that can be kicked.