ACPI vs. /dev/fd0

From: Jeff Walters <jeff_at_walters.name>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2003 13:08:06 -0400
I cannot load the ACPI module in 5.0-current and get a working floppy drive
simultaneously.  With ACPI loaded the dmesg | grep fdc0 is:

fdc0: cmd 3 failed at out byte 1 of 3
fdc0: cmd 3 failed at out byte 1 of 3
fdc0: cannot reserve I/O port range (6 ports)

With the ACPI module disabled in /boot/loader.conf, I get:

fdc0: <Enhanced floppy controller (i82077, NE72065 or clone)> at port
0x3f7,0x3f0-0x3f5 irq 6 drq 2 on isa0
fdc0: FIFO enabled, 8 bytes threshold
fd0: <1440-KB 3.5" drive> on fdc0 drive 0

I have the latest BIOS firmware, and I've been told by my M/B vendor's support
organization:  "ASRock motherboards are all ACPI complaint"  and  "All our
Produsts are fully support and fully tested with Windows 98SE/ME/2000/XP.  We
won't provide any support to Linux or other OS like FreeBSD."

I replied to ask them "why not?", however what can the issue be where they
claim compliance on all versions of Windows yet FreeBSD doesn't work?  Is
this a case where Windows has it's own "standard" that no one else meets, or
is FreeBSD support still incomplete?

I not sure if this is relevant, but here's a chunk of acpidump output related
to the device FDC0:

        Device(FDC0) {
            Name(_HID, 0x0007d041)
            Method(_STA) {