Re: kernel crashes and portupgrade

From: Terry Lambert <tlambert2_at_mindspring.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2003 16:28:00 -0700
Kent Stewart wrote:
> I just had one running /usr/libexec/locate.updatedb from kde as root. I
> cvsuped, updated the system, and tried it from the command line and had
> no problem. I am just letting it sit with kde running and setiathome.

If you are panic'ing, and it's repeatable, then you should
minimally post:

1)	The panic message, with the registers, etc. (e.g. "page
	fault in kernel mode; Trap 12", etc.).

2)	A stack traceback from DDB.

3)	If you are running something other than a tagged branch
	(e.g. if you are running -CURRENT, or using something
	other than a -RELEASE ISO for the install), then you need
	to take the traceback information, and either post a
	"gdb-k" dump of the lines of the file in which it occurred,
	or you need to go into an editor like "vi", turn on line
	numbering, and cut-and paste at least 5 lines before and
	after the line on which it crashed.

After that, someone can probably help you, if not give you a patch.

My personal "pat answer" for any Trap 12 panic is going to be to
reguild the kernel with options DISABLE_PG_G and DISABLE_PSE, on
the theory that Matt Dillon and Jeff Robertson's changes which
mask the problem happen to *not* be masking the problem on your
particular machine.

After that, we can talk about what else might be causing the problem.

-- Terry