Re: NVidia glx stuff dies in sysarch(I386_SET_LDT, ...)

From: Julian Elischer <julian_at_elischer.org>
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2003 15:39:10 -0700 (PDT)
On Fri, 1 Aug 2003, Munish Chopra wrote:

> On 2003-08-02 00:20 +0200, Thorsten Greiner wrote:
> > * Daniel Eischen <eischen_at_vigrid.com> [2003-08-02 00:06]:
> > > I think the bug was in the old code allowing this to
> > > happen...
> >
> > Well, than someone should tell that to NVidia. Their driver is
> > closed source and comes without "user servicable parts".
> >
> > Regards
> >         -Thorsten
> >

> That's going to be a lot easier to get through if someone can confirm
> whether 0-16 are reserved, or whether (like julian says), 6-15 are
> actually safe and something else is being clobbered.

I think that they are safe..

looking at it further, it appears that NLDT is not really a
'reservation' as much as a description of how much space we may
need to allocate initially.

I think that it wouldn't matter (for example) if you used one of the
existing defined numbers as long as you are not running a program that
used them..
i.e you could use as you are not a BSDI binary that needs it.

Given this.. it would appear that maybe the whole
idea needs to be looked at again.

Also it's interesting to note that '0' is defined..
this is intersting as a value of a segment register of '0'
is not allowed from my memory.
I guess that only applies to GDTEs.