Re: NVidia glx stuff dies in sysarch(I386_SET_LDT, ...)

From: Marcel Moolenaar <marcel_at_xcllnt.net>
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2003 16:01:57 -0700
On Fri, Aug 01, 2003 at 06:51:33PM -0400, Daniel Eischen wrote:

> > LUCODE_SEL is used by kernel to load _ucodesel to user %cs
> > LUDATA_SEL is used by kernel to load _udatasel to user %ds, %es, %fs, %gs.
> > I didn't check other ABIs, but setting to a fixed location of LDT in userland
> > is also a bad idea, I think it will conflict with thread library soon,
> > it is better to use dynamic allocating facility newly added in i386_set_ldt.
>
> Perhaps we need to rethink the interface and disallow
> specification of any ldt; only allow dynamic.  We would
> need a different method of setting an array of them, though.

Why not allow setting a specific entry when it's currently unused
and not reserved by us?
We can simply fail if the process is trying to set a LDT entry that's
currently being used or is reserved by us. The only case that causes
problems is when an existing LDT entry is overwritten by another
consumer.

--
 Marcel Moolenaar	  USPA: A-39004		 marcel_at_xcllnt.net