Dell inspiron 8200, Turning the screen off

From: Charles <charlesalexander1_at_charter.net>
Date: Sat, 02 Aug 2003 02:53:09 -0400
How do I make the screen turn off?  Closing the lid used to suspend the
laptop but leave the screen on.  I then applied the dell acpi patch
mentioned here http://sandcat.nl/~stijn/freebsd/dell.php and it help on
some things.  Now, when I use sysctl to set the lid state to NONE it no
longer suspends when I close the screen.  But, it still keeps the screen
on as I can see through the cracks.  I need to know if anyone knows how
to get the screen to turn off.  Thanks