Re: Yet another crash in FreeBSD 5.1

From: Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Sun, 3 Aug 2003 15:34:05 +0930
On Sunday,  3 August 2003 at  0:31:45 -0400, John Baldwin wrote:

> On 03-Aug-2003 Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:
>> On Saturday,  2 August 2003 at 16:47:13 +0200, Eivind Olsen wrote:
>>> eivind_at_vimes:~/tmp/debug > gdb -k kernel.debug
>>> (kgdb) list *(g_dev_strategy+29)
>>
>> This is almost certainly the wrong function.  At the very list you
>> should look at the arguments passed to it.
>
> Actually, this line can be very instructive.  Since 'bp' is valid
> it is probably the bp2 from g_clone_bio() that is NULL.  You might
> want to ask phk about that one.

I think you'll find that there's a null dev pointer in there.  As I
say, I've seen this scenario before (without GEOM), and I'd be
surprised if this were phk's problem.

>>> (kgdb) list *(launch_requests+448)
>>> No symbol "launch_requests" in current context.
>>> (kgdb) list *(vinumstart+2b2)
>>> No symbol "vinumstart" in current context.
>>> (kgdb)
>>
>> Read the links I just sent you.  You haven't loaded the Vinum symbols.
>
> Bah, this isn't hard for you to do either:

... once you've loaded the symbols.  That's why I pointed to the
links.

As I said to Terry, the real issue here is probably what was happening
at the time, not the contents of the dump.

Greg