Bootstrap: Machine keeps booting ? (boot0/mbr) ?

From: Stephan van Beerschoten <stephanb_at_whacky.net>
Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2003 16:52:21 +0200
I just finished installing this brand new -CURRENT box. I haven't been
on -CURRENt for a while, and thought about having a peek at 5.x.

After installing the machine, it boots up fine for a while, but then
something strange happends.
I have not yet been able to determine WHY it happends, much less do I
know WHAT exactly happends. I hope you can help.
The only thing I did was to update my 5.1 install to the latest
-CURRENT. I assume the make world somehow also does something to update
the bootloader, or is this where I went wrong ?
Please read on:

I installed the Bootloader for my dualboot machine, and when it comes up
during boot:

F1 ??
F2 FreeBSD

and I press F2, it autmatically reboots again. Please note it DID work
yesterday, but somehow my laptops keeps booting on my now. (-CURRENT ?
why?)

I am dualbooting with WinXP, and I initially grabbed the first 512bytes
from /dev/ad0s2c and dumped them on the XP disk, using the NTLoader to
boot FreeBSD for me. This too worked untill _something_ happened and
selecting FreeBSD caused the machine to spontaniously reboot too.

Since this happends even before any real kernels are loaded, I cannot
produce any debug output, so any hints on resolving this issue would be
greatly appreciated.

Please copy me in on any replies, as I am not yet on -current. I will
once this problem is fixed :)

/Stephan

--
Stephan van Beerschoten [SVB21-RIPE]       stephanb_at_whacky.net
  PGP fingerprint:  4557 9761 B212 FB4C  778D 3529 C42A 2D27