Re: bootstrapping network (bcm) on Dell D800

From: Andre Guibert de Bruet <andy_at_siliconlandmark.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2003 11:36:13 -0400 (EDT)
On Wed, 6 Aug 2003, David Gilbert wrote:

> Andre> On Tue, 5 Aug 2003, Dr. Richard E. Hawkins wrote:
>
> >> If I'm reading the recent messages correctly, the bcm driver won't
> >> work unless updated to approximately July 17.
> >>
> >> I burned 5.1 iso's, and installed most of it successfully.  How do
> >> I bootstrap the network.  I saw Bill Paul's references to testing a
> >> patch prior to committing it.  Is this something I can apply singly
> >> to the source that comes on the ISO (and if so, just where do I
> >> grab it?), and then build a kernel, reboot, and update the rest of
> >> the source?
>
> Andre> Does this new toy have a 32-bit pci slot available? If so, pop
> Andre> in a nic (temporarily), cvsup and/or grab the needed patches
> Andre> and rebuild away!
>
> It has a mini-pci slot.  You'd have a hard time getting an ethernet
> card in there.  Having just had a look at the patch, it's a little
> large to be typing in by hand.

Actually, you can get mini-pci wireless and wired nics. When I first
posted, I didn't realize that the machine in question was a Latitude
D800. Popping in a nic would require dismantling the unit, which you
probably don't want to do... :-)

> Here's the options I see for you:
>
> 1) the D800 has a serial port (rare on today's laptops).  Hook up a
> modem or a null serial cable and network thusly to cvsup.

I'm under the impression that pretty much all of the 8xx-series
Latitudes have DB9 ports (Including C800, C820 and friends).

> 2) the D800 has a pccard slot.  Find someone with a wireless or
> ethernet card.
>
> 3) the D800 has usb2 and firewire... both of which can have ethernet
>
> 4) if you remove your hard drive, you can cheaply get a dodad that
> will convert the mini ide connector to a regular one.
>
> 5) burn a CD or a DVD on another machine with the new src tree.

Regards,