Re: Change in application of default ACLs in UFS

From: Daniel C. Sobral <dcs_at_tcoip.com.br>
Date: Wed, 06 Aug 2003 14:56:21 -0300
Robert Watson wrote:
> Just an FYI to users of ACLs on UFS -- I've modified the semantics of the
> application of the default ACL in combination with the umask.  The result
> is that the application of default ACLs is now more conservative than
> previously, so you may want to keep an eye out and make sure all the ACLs
> still mean what you thought they meant.
>
> I'm still exploring what the best default ACL semantics to use are --
> we're now implementing POSIX.1e "as spec" (bitwise and).  It's worth
> observing this is not quite the same semantics as Solaris and Linux, in
> which the the ACL mask overrides the umask.  I have an ACL development
> branch in Perforce where I'm experimenting with these semantics, and will
> probably merge support for that prior to 5.3, probably as an option.
>
> Robert N M Watson             FreeBSD Core Team, TrustedBSD Projects
> robert_at_fledge.watson.org      Network Associates Laboratories

FWIW, I don't like it. This means I'll have to change my umask to o+rw
for my ACLs to work correctly, since I use ACLs to _give_ rights in ways
that umask cannot.

>   PR:             50148
>   Reported by:    Ritz, Bruno <bruno_ritz_at_gmx.ch>
>   Obtained from:  TrustedBSD Project
>
>   Revision  Changes    Path
>   1.5       +1 -2      src/sys/ufs/ufs/acl.h
>   1.18      +8 -78     src/sys/ufs/ufs/ufs_acl.c
>   1.232     +4 -8      src/sys/ufs/ufs/ufs_vnops.c

Daniel C. Sobral                   (8-DCS)
Gerencia de Operacoes
Divisao de Comunicacao de Dados
Coordenacao de Seguranca
VIVO Centro Oeste Norte
Fones: 55-61-313-7654/Cel: 55-61-9618-0904
E-mail: Daniel.Capo_at_tco.net.br
         Daniel.Sobral_at_tcoip.com.br
         dcs_at_tcoip.com.br

Outros: