Perfect Setup to Freebsd Access Point!!!!

From: Marcos - ThePacific.net <marcos_at_thepacific.net>
Date: Thu, 07 Aug 2003 10:10:00 +1200
Hi There.
The next information was tested with more than 4month with a  lot of
client and with a nasty traffic. The only problem what with couldn't fix
yet is some timesout coming from the wireless card some times but
doesn't crash the traffic or the wireless card!

the conclusion to make a good Access Point with freebsd is the next:

We have a good and very nice hardware and software working like Access
Point on Freebsd!!
wireless card: prism II or Prism 2.5 (only xi325)
firmware version: 1.4.9 or 1.5.6  ( not use 1.3.6 or 1.7.4)
adapter: richo or PLX
Freebsd Version: 5.0

setup;
add: "OPTION BRIDGE" in  your kernel

in /etc/rc.conf
add the line:
ifconfig_wi0="inet up ssid NET2 channel 10 media DS/11Mbps mediaopt hostap"

on /etc/sysctl.conf
add:
net.link.ether.bridge=1
net.link.ether.bridge_cfg="wi0:0, dc0:0"
net.link.ether.bridge_ipfw=1
net.inet.ip.forwarding=1

Any information aditional, please send me an email

We are trying to do this with freebsd 5.1 and the wireless stable but
the speed is very lower than with 5.0 we couln't make it work on more
than 2mbps
ideas???

--

Marcos Biscaysaqu