Re: help! 5.1 doesn't do the rc thing?

From: Charlie Schluting <charlie_at_schluting.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2003 11:05:30 -0700 (PDT)
On Thu, 7 Aug 2003, Scot W. Hetzel wrote:

> From: "Charlie Schluting" <charlie_at_schluting.com>
> > OMG.
> > So anyways, does anyone have a link to info about how the heck I start
> > stuff in 5.1?
> > Most important:
> > -my lo0 interface doesn't have the 127.0.0.1 address.. it just comes up
> > with no addy.
> > -rc.conf didn't get run :( no named, no nothing :(
> > -my firewall rules (rc.firewall) and sysctl.conf didn't seem to be read.
> >
> > Links, hints appreciated.
> >
> Do you have an /etc/rc.d directory and is it populated with files?
>
> If not, then run run mergemaster to update your /etc.
>
> Scot

Yes, I do have that. I'm stupmed as to why the network interface didn't
start though. I think that's the reason all my stuff in
/usr/local/etc/rc.d didn't start as well, becuase they couldn't bind to
a port. Also, it didn't read rc.firewall :(
Heck, I even had to manually assign 127.0.0.1 to lo0. Strange.

still stumped.. but I will work on it later tonight. I have another box
that I did a clean install of 5.1 on so I can compare startup scripts.

Should 5.1 read my /etc/rc.firewall ?

--Charlie