PCM freezes the box

From: <root_at_bofh.bg>
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2003 23:34:01 +0300
Dear Sirs,
I have problems with my  5.1-Release and 5.1-STABLE boxes:
they freeze if I play anything different from audio CDs.
The cards are ESS 1938, options pcm is in the kernel.
If I try to run xmms/mpg123/KDE or any other application related
with artsd/esound/audiofile, the machines freeze, leaving not
a single chance to escape to shell and kill the process.
I have been beating my head for more than two weeks without
success. Please give any hints if possible.
TIA,
DVV