Re: Troubles while mounting ext2 from 5.1-RELEASE

From: Vincent Caron <v.caron_at_zerodeux.net>
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2003 20:21:44 +0200 (CEST)
Bruce Evans said:

>> > # mount -t ext2fs /dev/ad0s2 /mnt/linux
>> > ext2fs: /dev/ad0s2: No such file or directory
>>
>> Did you compile EXT2FS support into your kernel?

Awful shame on a FreeBSD newbie, I didn't. I naively thought it was in the GENERIC
kernel, but I just saw he note about the 'risky' use of the ext2 module. Apologies.
Building now bleeding edge kernel ...

> That's probably the main bug here.  Some others are:
>
> (1) mount(8) obfuscates the name of the mount utility that does the mount
>
> (2) nmount(2) returns the unhelpful errno ENOENT for many cases
>
> (3) mount_ext2fs doesn't print the name of the mount point
>
> (4) mount(2) only documents the device file for ufs.
>
> (5) nmount(2) is undocumented.

Thanks for the insight, a very good one I would have loved to find in the archives,
now it's reality :). The fix for error display from mount_* is obviously a good idea
(to prevent spurious bug reports like mine !).

Sincerely,

Vincent