Re: Best Known Methods for dual booting WinXP + -current

From: Bruce Evans <bde_at_zeta.org.au>
Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2003 21:39:22 +1000 (EST)
On Fri, 8 Aug 2003, Wilko Bulte wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 07, 2003 at 06:49:55PM -0700, David O'Brien wrote:
> > On Thu, Aug 07, 2003 at 03:40:27PM -0500, Cagle, John (ISS-Houston) wrote:
> > > Had to use FFS filesystem since Grub doesn't support UFS.
> >              ^^^
> >              UFS1
>                                                          ^^^
>                                                          UFS2
                 ffs                                       ffs (sic)

There is only an ffs according to the man pages (;-<) :

%%%
$ man ufs
No manual entry for ufs
$ man 7 ffs | col -bx
FFS(7)             FreeBSD Miscellaneous Information Manual             FFS(7)
DESCRIPTION
     The Berkeley fast file system provides facilities to store file system
     ^^^
     data onto a disk device.  ffs has been optimized over the years for speed
     and reliability and is the default FreeBSD file system.
			 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
$ apropos ufs
bread(3), bwrite(3)      - read and write blocks of a UFS filesystem
cgread(3), cgread1(3)    - read cylinder groups of UFS disks
extattrctl(8)            - manage UFS1 extended attributes
fsck_ffs(8), fsck_ufs(8) - file system consistency check and interactive repair
growfs(8)                - grow size of an existing ufs file system
libufs(3)                - operate on UFS filesystems from userland
newfs(8)                 - construct a new UFS1/UFS2 file system
sbread(3), sbwrite(3)    - read and write superblocks of a UFS filesystem
ufs_disk_close(3), ufs_disk_fillout(3), ufs_disk_fillout_blank(3), ufs_disk_write(3) - open and close userland UFS disks

[So we have a library and some utilities for a UFS filesystem (sic)
although we only have an ffs file system ;-).]
%%%

This was confusing enough when there were only ffs and plain ufs, and no
libufs.

There is also no support for the ffs, ufs1 or ufs2 file system types:

%%%
$ lsvfs
Filesystem                        Refs Flags
-------------------------------- ----- ---------------
msdosfs                              0
linprocfs                            0 synthetic
nfs                                  0 network
ext2fs                               0
cd9660                               1 read-only
ufs                                  7
procfs                               1 synthetic
$ find /etc/passwd -fstype ffs
Warning: Unknown filesystem type ffs
$ find /etc/passwd -fstype ufs1
Warning: Unknown filesystem type ufs1