Re: "got bad cookie" warnings/errors?

From: Lars Eggert <larse_at_ISI.EDU>
Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2003 11:50:21 -0700
David Malone wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 09, 2003 at 09:15:45PM -0700, Lars Eggert wrote:
>
>>I can only say that (1) I've been getting these forever, on both -stable
>>and -current, and (2) I personally have never lost any data.
>>
>>However, I have no clue as to why you and I get them, or what they signify.
>
> I have a vague feeling they are related to a directory changing while it
> is being read, and might mean that the NFS client sees an inconsistent
> version of the directory. It's been a long time since I looked at it
> though.

Sounds reasonable, but I'm not sure if is the case for me:

My home directory is NFS mounted from a Solaris box, and gets modified
only from a single client (my desktop) at a time. I get these "cookie"
messages whenever I log out of X, when a lot of things get read and
written to that mount. Since all those reads and writes originate on my
FreeBSD desktop, I would expect its NFS client to keep its cache
consitent in that case.

But maybe not.

Lars
--
Lars Eggert <larse_at_isi.edu>           USC Information Sciences Institute