Re: FreeBSD 5.1-R kernel panic

From: Bosko Milekic <bmilekic_at_technokratis.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2003 13:12:02 +0000
On Thu, Aug 14, 2003 at 10:57:07AM -0600, Stephane Raimbault wrote:
> Hi Bosko,
>
> This is the output of sysctl vm.zone about 2 minutes before the crash
> occured.  let me know if there is anything else I can provide you for this
> crashing problem.

  Hmmmm.  I don't know, maybe you really do have a machine too loaded
  for the KVA you have configured...

  I have to re-iterate that it's extremely important that you
  double-check that you are in fact in sync with the latest -current and
  _NOT_ RELENG_5_1.  Make sure you're building at least version 1.73 of
  src/sys/vm/uma_core.c (grep FBSDID src/sys/vm/uma_core.c).

  With that said, you can try the following:

  options KVA_PAGES=400

  in your kernel configuration file.

  Following that, you can do this:

  kern.vm.kmem.size=400000000

  In your /boot/loader.conf

  Make sure to not set NMBCLUSTERS too high.  Around 8K is probably more
  than enough, but you should look at how much you're using on average
  with `netstat -m' and then set the number to roughly 3 times that.

  If following this your crash persists, even if after a longer time,
  then I would suspect (another?) race.  Again, I have to re-iterate
  that you really need to make sure you're supping to HEAD:

  *default release=cvs tag=.

Regards,
--
Bosko Milekic  *  bmilekic_at_technokratis.com  *  bmilekic_at_FreeBSD.org
TECHNOkRATIS Consulting Services  *  http://www.technokratis.com/