Re: LOR with filedesc structure and Giant

From: Robert Watson <rwatson_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2003 23:01:50 -0400 (EDT)
On Fri, 15 Aug 2003, Kris Kennaway wrote:

> The problem seems to be due to select() being called on the /dev/null
> device, and it is holding the filedesc lock when it reaches
> PICKUP_GIANT() in spec_poll.

Yeah, this is pretty much the same issue you've been bumping into for a
bit -- we hold filedesc lock over select(), which means every object we
poll can't grab a lock that either comes before the file descriptor lockin
the lock order, or that might sleep.

robert_at_fledge.watson.org      Network Associates Laboratories