Re: bluetooth on 5.1-release or -current ?

From: Maksim Yevmenkin <m_evmenkin_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2003 11:50:40 -0700 (PDT)
Hello Kim,

> Trying to get Max Yevmenkin's bluetooth stack running on 5.1-release.
>
> This with ngbt-fbsd-20030501.tar.gz from
>
> http://www.geocities.com/m_evmenkin/

first of all - all kernel modules and user space tools were committed to
-current. so you do not have to use snapshots. all kernel modules are
connected to buildkernel process, so you should have all bluetooth modules
in /boot/kernel/modules. note: user space tools are not connected to the
buildworld process, so you have to build them by hand, i.e.

# cd /usr/src/usr.bin/bluetooth
# make depend && make intall && make clean

# cd /usr/src/usr.sbin/bluetooth
# make depend && make intall && make clean

example of rc.bluetooth script can be found in

/usr/src/share/examples/netgraph/bluetooth

> Trying to start the stack, it returns:
>
> ./rc.bluetooth start ubt0
>
> Could not execute command "reset". Operation timed out
>
> >From the syslog:
>
> ng_hci_process_command_timeout: ubt0hci - unable to complete HCI command
> OGF=0x3, OCF=0x3. Timeout
>
> ubt_request_complete2: ubt0 - Control request failed. TIMEOUT (15)

well, the USB device did not respond to the control request.

1) what USB device do you have? (please give me exact name/model number).

2) what did ng_ubt(4) driver said when you attached the device
   (look for ubt0: ... lines in /var/log/messages).

> kldstat shows:
>
> Id Refs Address    Size     Name
>  1   15 0xc0100000 3de128   kernel
>  2    1 0xc04df000 bf44     ng_ubt.ko
>  3    1 0xc04eb000 4a30c    acpi.ko
>  4    4 0xc2953000 2000     ng_bluetooth.ko
>  5    1 0xc2957000 13000    ng_hci.ko
>  6    1 0xc296a000 16000    ng_l2cap.ko
>  7    1 0xc2981000 1c000    ng_btsocket.ko
>  8    1 0xc26d8000 4000     ng_socket.ko

this looks fine. what does "ngctl li" says?

> Any help here is greatly appreciated..

i need to know more about the USB device you have. some USB devices may
require
firmware download (for example Broadcom chip based devices). you can verify
that you have (or dont have) Broadcom device by looking at USB vendor ID,
product ID pair (vendor ID - Broadcom/Product ID - 0x2033). if you do have a
Broadcom device you need to

1) make sure the USB device is detached
2) load ubtbcmfw(4) module
3) load ng_ubt(4) module
4) attach the device
5) load Broadcom firmware with bcmfw(8) tools (in /usr/src/usr.sbin/bluetooth)
   (note: you need to get firmware of the internet - see man page)
6) verify that ubtbcmfw0: device was detached and ubt0: device was attached
7) run rc.bluetooth script on ubt0 device

hope this helps.

thanks,
max