Re: ACPI on Tyan Motherboard

From: Stephen Montgomery-Smith <stephen_at_math.missouri.edu>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 12:10:54 -0500
Alexander Leidinger wrote:
> Stephen Montgomery-Smith schrieb:
>
>> Actually the power-off button doesn't work at all under
>> FreeBSD-current.  (It is a soft power-off button that dmesg shows is
>> detected by the OS.)
>

> Have you tried to hold the power-button a little bit longer? My
> power-button turn the system off when I pres it for ~4secs (but I
> haven't a Tyan board).

I tried pressing the power button for a longer time.  It does actually do
something.  After about 4 seconds, it has the same effect as "shutdown -p now"
or "halt -p", that is, the video card stops working, the fans keep going, and
the disk access light comes fully on.

I am guessing that this 4 second delay is part of how FreeBSD wants it.  If that
is the case, it shows that the power button is working as it should - it is the
power-down process that is not working right.

--
Stephen Montgomery-Smith
stephen_at_math.missouri.edu