Re: ACPI on Tyan Motherboard

From: John Baldwin <jhb_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 18:13:19 -0400 (EDT)
On 19-Aug-2003 Stephen Montgomery-Smith wrote:
> John Baldwin wrote:
>

>> Here's how it works:  The BIOS/hardware monitor the power button.  When an
>> OS tells the BIOS that it is ACPI, then the BIOS doesn't do an instant turn
>> off when the power button is pressed, but waits to do so until the power
>> button has been held down for 4 seconds.  If the power button after 4 seconds
>> doesn't work, it's still a hardware problem.  FreeBSD can not fix your
>> hardware problem.  When you press the power button with an ACPI OS running,
>> the hardware sends an interrupt to the OS.  The OS then shuts down and asks
>> the BIOS (via ACPI) to power off the machine.  If the machine doesn't
>> physically turn off, it's because your BIOS is screwed up and didn't handle
>> the power down command properly.  The fact that the 4 second trick (which as
>> above bypasses FreeBSD completely and has the BIOS call that power down
>> method itself) produces the same broken results means that this bug is in
>> your hardware.
>>
>> FreeBSD sleeps for a bit when it does a halt -p as a workaround for broken
>> IDE disks which claim that writes have hit the media when they are still in
>> the disks cache, so that is a separate issue.
>>
>> If you want more info on ACPI and how it works, feel free to head on over
>> to www.acpi.info and read the spec for yourself.
>>

> I took a quick look at the acpi web site, but it is a lot more reading than I
> have time for right now.
>
> Following up your suggestion that it is a hardware problem, I decided to try
> updating the BIOS from version 2.10 to 2.14.  Now start up produces lots of ACPI
> error messages.  I am not asking for you guys to fix it, but if you can help me
> interpret it (or can comfirm that this is indeed a hardware problem), I would
> appreciate it.  Dmesg is included as an attachment.

The 2.10 is the version of the PCI BIOS specification that your motherboard
BIOS supports.  It is unrelated to the version of your motherboard BIOS.
Unfortunately, your new BIOS seems to be buggy as well, but you can probably
compile a custom asl to work around it.  The best thing to do is to e-mail
acpi-jp_at_jp.FreeBSD.org providing a link to your acpidump and dmesg and they
can give you some pointers on fixing your asl and recompiling it so you
can override your BIOS.