Re: ACPI on Tyan Motherboard

From: Stephen Montgomery-Smith <stephen_at_math.missouri.edu>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 20:55:10 -0500
David O'Brien wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 19, 2003 at 06:13:19PM -0400, John Baldwin wrote:
>
>>>Following up your suggestion that it is a hardware problem, I decided
>>>to try updating the BIOS from version 2.10 to 2.14.  Now start up
>>>produces lots of ACPI error messages.

>>The 2.10 is the version of the PCI BIOS specification that your motherboard
>>BIOS supports.  It is unrelated to the version of your motherboard BIOS.
>

> NO.  His "2.10" above *IS* the version of his BIOS.  I know exactly what
> version he had and has now.  He is correct about the extra ACPI error
> verbage.

But why would FreeBSD tell me that the BIOS version is 2.10 when I just
installed version 2.14?  Is this something wrong with the bios update features
of this motherboard?  The bios update seemed to go successfully.

I might add that even with this updated BIOS, that seems to be more buggy from
FreeBSD-current's point of view, that power down still works fine with Windows 2000.

(It would be nice to have working ACPI with FreeBSD, but I'm not going to be
greatly upset if it doesn't work.  From every other point of view, this
motherboard seems to work very nicely, with every operating system I have tried
on it.  My main reason for wanting properly working powerdown is so that if a
fan stops working, then the healthd program would kick in and power-down the
computer.  Of course it is possible that if a fan breaks, then the CPU overheats
so quickly that the healthd/"acpiconf -s S5" combination just isn't quick
enough.  In that case, ACPI is nothing more than a nicety for me.)

--
Stephen Montgomery-Smith
stephen_at_math.missouri.edu