Strange keyboard behavior

From: Donn Miller <dmmiller_at_cvzoom.net>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 09:30:01 -0400
Latest -current, just cvsuped and build world/kernel yesterday.  In a
nutshell, if I reboot out of FreeBSD, my keyboard becomes
non-functional, until I power my laptop off/on again.  For example, say
I use reboot(8) to boot out of FreeBSD.  When the boot loader comes up,
which in my case is LILO, I find that I cannot navigate with the
keyboard.  Seemingly, none of the keys work.

To diagnose what was going on, I configured LILO to boot straight into
Linux.  OK, so I reboot out of FreeBSD, and reach the LILO menu.  I hit
a few keys, and see no response.  Once Linux boots, I can see the keys
that I hit "replaying" on the screen.  Apparently, what's going on is
the keyboard buffer isn't being flushed.

This is only when I reboot after running FreeBSD-current.  If I power-on
from the off state, or reboot from Linux or Windows, the keyboard
behavior is normal.  Also, once running FreeBSD, keyboard behavior is
normal (provided I boot "cold" or from any other OS, not FreeBSD).

Maybe it's something specific to my HP Pavilion notebook and the latest
FreeBSD-current... :-/