Re: ACPI on Tyan Motherboard

From: John Baldwin <jhb_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 13:25:03 -0400 (EDT)
On 20-Aug-2003 David O'Brien wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 19, 2003 at 06:13:19PM -0400, John Baldwin wrote:
>> > Following up your suggestion that it is a hardware problem, I decided
>> > to try updating the BIOS from version 2.10 to 2.14.  Now start up
>> > produces lots of ACPI error messages.
>> The 2.10 is the version of the PCI BIOS specification that your motherboard
>> BIOS supports.  It is unrelated to the version of your motherboard BIOS.
>
> NO.  His "2.10" above *IS* the version of his BIOS.  I know exactly what
> version he had and has now.  He is correct about the extra ACPI error
> verbage.

David, please read his dmesg:

pcibios: BIOS version 2.10

Do you know where that comes from?

/sys/i386/pci/pci_cfgreg.c:

int
pci_cfgregopen(void)
{
        v = pcibios_get_version();
        if (v > 0)
                printf("pcibios: BIOS version %x.%02x\n", (v & 0xff00) >> 8,
                    v & 0xff);
}

I'm not stupid, ok?  The version of the PCI BIOS spec that his BIOS
implements has no relation to the vendor firmware revision of his
BIOS beyond perhaps mere coincidence.  FreeBSD has no code in it to
go figure out his firmware revision and print it to the bloody screen
claiming that it has something to do with PCI.