Re: Regarding recent spam on the list

From: Scot W. Hetzel <hetzelsw_at_westbend.net>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2003 23:44:30 -0500
From: "Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH" <allbery_at_ece.cmu.edu>
> On Tue, 2003-08-19 at 18:03, Bill Moran wrote:
> > Just curious if anyone knows the origin of all these auto-responses,
etc.

> > I'm seeing a lot of these on every list I'm subscribed to (not all of
them
> > FreeBSD related) so I was wondering if some Windows trojan is running
rampant
> > and using these list addresses as return addys?
>
> It's W32/SoBig.F_at_MM.  It's spreading *fast*....

The first day it appeared, I received 8000+ virus and virus warning messages
in my inbox.  The only way I could stop it from filling my inbox was to
change my e-mail address, and place a permanent failure code in the access
table for the old address.  But, our mail server was still getting a Denial
of Service, since it would max out the connections to both our primary and
secondary mail servers.  Today I believe I have solved the problem.  I wrote
a couple of scripts, that retrieves the IP address from the maillog for all
servers/virus infected systems that are using the old email address.  Then I
setup IPFW to deny access to port 25 for these IP addresses.  So far IPFW is
dening access to our mail servers for 30,000 Class C's (/24).

Scot