Re: Recent changes to AC97 files breaks sound

From: Rudolf Cejka <cejkar_at_fit.vutbr.cz>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2003 15:04:35 +0200
Glenn Johnson wrote (2003/08/21):
> sound no longer works.  I reverted to the previous versions of these
> files to get sound back.

Hmm, as I expected, some cases has been fixed and some other cases
are broken now :o(

> pcm0: <Intel ICH5 (82801EB)> port 0xdc00-0xdc3f,0xd800-0xd8ff mem 0xfc002000-0xfc0020ff,0xfc001000-0xfc0011ff irq 10 at device 31.5 on pci0
> pcm0: <Avance Logic ALC650 AC97 Codec>

Could you do ALC650 register dump? If you look into
ftp://ftp.FreeBSD.cz/pub/FreeBSD-local/ich/ , you can see small
how-to in DEBUG sections.

It seems to me that there are just two possibilities:

* Hope, that HP_OUT is used instead of LINE_OUT just with Analog Devices
  chips and in all cases, so that sound fixes can be done just for AD*
  chips.

* Do some compile and/or sysctl or some another option, so that sound fix
  can be allowed just in cases, where it is needed.

There is really missing feedback from users with working and broken
output. Register dumps, dmesg | grep pcm and sound status would be
sufficient ;o)

--
Rudolf Cejka <cejkar at fit.vutbr.cz> http://www.fit.vutbr.cz/~cejkar
Brno University of Technology, Faculty of Information Technology