Re: status of nsswitch.conf in current?

From: Tim Kientzle <kientzle_at_acm.org>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2003 11:15:01 -0700
Ruslan Ermilov wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 22, 2003 at 10:40:32AM -0400, Richard Coleman wrote:
>
>>I saw that.  I guess my question is whether a default nsswitch.conf file
>>will be checked into /etc and /usr/share/examples/etc, or whether it
>>will be left empty?  I would expect that if this capability was working,
>>that a default nsswitch.conf would be checked into /etc.
>>

> Adding /etc/nsswitch.conf with the default settings would just slow the
> things down.  For the same reason, we don't provide /etc/resolv.conf by
> default.  Adding src/share/examples/etc/nsswitch.conf and installing it
> in /usr/share/examples/etc/ is a good idea.

On the other hand, having

/etc/nsswitch.conf.example

would
   a) Advertise the existence of nsswitch capabilities in
      an obvious place where people new to FreeBSD would
      see it.
   b) Document the defaults.
   c) Not slow anything down.
   d) Serve as an example and template for people just
      getting started..

Having additional examples in /usr/share/examples/etc
would also be nice.  (Ideally, with a comment in
/etc/nsswitch.conf.example pointing to those additional
examples.)

I do find Ruslan's logic here a bit peculiar, though.  Having
an nsswitch.conf with the default settings should only
"slow things down" by the time needed to parse the file.
Well-written parsers are very fast.

One could equally well argue that people for whom this level
of performance really matters should read the release notes. ;-)

Tim