Re: ENE 4-in-1 card reader

From: M. Warner Losh <imp_at_bsdimp.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2003 00:13:55 -0600 (MDT)
In message: <3F46ED4D.1030608_at_isi.edu>
            Lars Eggert <larse_at_ISI.EDU> writes:
: M. Warner Losh wrote:
: > In message: <3F464DC9.6040405_at_isi.edu>
: >             Lars Eggert <larse_at_ISI.EDU> writes:
: > : However, even with a new kernel that has your latest commit, this device
: > : is still unattached. I'm attaching pciconf and dmesg, maybe that'll be
: > : of help?
: >
: > not likely.  there's a different interface for the flash reader part
: > that we don't have a driver for yet.  there's a bit of IP hording
: > going on at the moment relating to these new devices.  I've requested
: > a datasheet for these parts, but so far I've had no response yet.
:
: Great! I don't need this for anything special, but it's nice to know
: that it may at some point start working under FreeBSD. Let me know if
: you want me to test something then.

OK.  I've done some research.  I'm not 100% sure what the 3rd function
does from reading over a few TI datasheets.  It looks a lot like all
you need to do to get the SD/MD/etc flash cards working is to treat
them like pccards, maybe with throwing a 12V Vpp their way (this
translates to 1.8V at the card), but my look was quick and I don't
have one of these beasts.  The 3rd function is for downloading
firmware,  but I haven't puzzled out where that firmware comes from or
what it does.  Likely something as part of the SD cards, since the S
is Secure.  oh, 3rd should be 2nd since you have a 1slot version.

I could attach a small device to the firmware loader, but for now it
will just remain unused.

Warner