VIA VT82C686A sound problems

From: Fred Souza <fred_at_storming.org>
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2003 17:54:56 -0300
Hello,

  I'm using -CURRENT built with sources of 08/23 and I'm noticing two
  problems with sound with a VIA soundcard:

  a) There's a annoying noise coming out all the time, including when
     playing sound files (I've noticed this noise before, but it used to
     be noticeable only when you set volume really loud and there was
     nothing playing - now even if you set the volume (or better, PCM -
     see b) to the lowest possible, you still hear the noise).

  b) I can't seem to be able to set the volume correcly. Using mixers
     (like mixer or aumix) to set volume makes no difference - I have
     to lower the PCM, but that's just not the expected.

  Here's some info I think might help:

  nazguul_at_torment:~! uname -a
  FreeBSD torment.storming.org 5.1-CURRENT FreeBSD 5.1-CURRENT #0: Sat
  Aug 23 10:39:53 BRT 2003
  nazguul_at_torment.storming.org:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/TORMENT  i386

  nazguul_at_torment:~! cat /dev/sndstat
  FreeBSD Audio Driver (newpcm)
  Installed devices:
  pcm0: <VIA VT82C686A> at io 0xdc00 irq 11 (1p/1r/6v channels duplex
  default)

  If needed, I can provide more info.

  Thanks,
  Fred

--
"Be incomprehensible.  If they can't understand, they can't disagree."