Re: KDE Konsole, crashes, on a SIGABRT...

From: Arjan van Leeuwen <avleeuwen_at_piwebs.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2003 16:55:40 +0200
On Saturday 23 August 2003 18:03, Daniel Eischen wrote:
> On Sat, 23 Aug 2003, Larry Rosenman wrote:
> > --On Saturday, August 23, 2003 10:27:59 -0400 Daniel Eischen

(...)

> > > We (threads guys) think it's a problem with konsole.  It is trying
> > > to change ownership of the pty and is failing to do so.  We don't
> > > know why.  Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.  konsole
> > > aborts itself when it can't change/open the pty, so SIGABRT is
> > > expected.
> >
> > Interestingly, if I use /etc/libmap.conf to map libc_r.(so|so.5) to
> > libc_r.(so.4|so.4)
> > it works starting from within an XTerm, but not from the bar at the
> > bottom.
> >
> > Now, I have **NOT** rebooted yet.
> >
> > This seems to have started with thursday's world, the previous world was
> > ~2 weeks ago.
> >
> > Prior to Thursday, it worked just fine.
>
> I can't explain it.  Someone is going to have to debug konsole and
> figure out what is going on.

It is a problem that has appeared in the last two weeks, and it was triggered
by a change in (apparently) libc_r as well as libkse, as it doesn't start
with both now. With the patch that Michael Nottebrock provided on this list,
it was perfectly possible to run Konsole with libkse (and libc_r) on a
-CURRENT from august 15.

So something was broken in the threads code between august 15 and now. I don't
think that we should point to Konsole here, something went wrong in the
threads code.

Best regards,

Arjan