Re: recover superblock

From: Thomas Gutzler <giggel_at_hadiko.de>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2003 14:17:16 +0200
Am Sun, 24.Aug.2003 um 23:50:56 -0700 schraubte John-Mark Gurney:
> Bruce Evans wrote this message on Mon, Aug 25, 2003 at 16:12 +1000:
> > > Thx to
> > > http://groups.google.de/groups?selm=Pine.BSF.4.21.0212150052530.41793-100000_root.org%40ns.sol.net&oe=UTF-8&output=gplain
> >
> > Not really solved.  fsck_ffs is supposed to be able to find alternative
> > superblocks automatically, and the primary superblock shouldn't get
> > trashed.  Apparently the first alternative is at offset 32 (this is
> > a normal place for it IIRC), but fsck_ffs can't find it there for
> > some reason.

Hm, newfs said, that the first backup is at 144.
But the nice dd line worked anyway. I copied the result in a file and
# file alternate_sb
alternate_sb: Unix Fast File system (little-endian), last mounted on ,
last written at Fri Sep  6 11:53:08
2002, clean flag 1, number of blocks 78148161, number of data blocks
75746877, number of cylinder groups 173
5, block size 8192, fragment size 1024, minimum percentage of free
blocks 8, rotational delay 0ms, disk rotational speed 60rps, TIME
optimization

running fsck -b 144 didn't work.

> I've also had the problem of when you do use an alternate superblock
> via -b, it doesn't over drive the primary.  If you have a disk with
> bad blocks on the primary, you have to manualy rewrite it with dd.

I'm pretty sure that this harddrive works well, cause it's just 3 weeks
old and SMART doesn't find any errors, reallocations ..

Tom