Re: 3C940 / Asus P4P800 gigabit LAN driver

From: Glenn Johnson <glennpj_at_charter.net>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2003 11:20:23 -0500
On Mon, Aug 25, 2003 at 11:14:25AM +0100, Stuart Walsh wrote:

> On Sun Aug 24, 10:42P -0500, Glenn Johnson wrote:

> > > Hi Stuart,
> > >
> > > I tried this patch instead of the earlier ones you pointed me to
> > > on IRC.
> > >
> > > Unfortunately my Asus P4P800 still locks up solid (reset button
> > > required) after printing the 3c940's ethernet address.
> > >
> > > I'm interested to know if other P4P800 owners have the same issue.
> >
> > I have an Abit IS7 with a 3c940.  I also get a lockup at boot time.
> > I tried loading the module after bootup as well.  I tried that two
> > times; it loaded one time and locked the machine up the other time.
>

> Does it lock up after printing the ethernet address as in Wilko's
> case?

Yes.

> Does the card work properly if the module does manage to load?

I do not know.  I did not have a cable plugged in to the 3c940 port at
the time.  I do remember some message about not being able to set up
a jumbo frame.  I was going to plug a cable into the port to see if
it worked but I was not able to get the module to load again without
locking up the machine.

> Also could you mail your dmesg.

Yes, but not until I get home later this evening as the 3c940 is on my
home system.

--
Glenn Johnson