Re: Radeon 7500 w/ DRI locking on restart of X

From: Sean Welch <welchsm_at_earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 15:31:29 -0500 (GMT)
I have precisely the same symptoms as what Glenn listed.

I have now tried the forcepcimode option on the laptop and
unfortunately experienced what appears to be the opposite
effect to what Glenn noted.  I get a black screen with lots
of disk activity.  I can log in remotely (at least that
seemed to work every time) and a top listing shows X taking
up more and more CPU cycles.  It seems to be scribbling to
the disk making temporary files as well because eventually
I couldn't edit the XF86Config file any longer -- I was
getting a "no space left on device" error.  I ended up
taking out all options short of disabling DRI altogether
and eventually discovered the only way I could run with
DRI switches on and forcepcimode set to true was to unload
the agp module from kernel space.  This got it started just
fine but there was no DRI.  It seems that X is getting
confused and somehow PCI and AGP modes are duking it out...

Here is a listing of the X modules from ports:

XFree86-4.3.0,1
XFree86-FontServer-4.3.0
XFree86-Server-4.3.0_5
XFree86-clients-4.3.0_1
XFree86-documents-4.3.0
XFree86-font100dpi-4.3.0
XFree86-font75dpi-4.3.0
XFree86-fontCyrillic-4.3.0
XFree86-fontDefaultBitmaps-4.3.0
XFree86-fontEncodings-4.3.0
XFree86-fontScalable-4.3.0
XFree86-libraries-4.3.0_3
Xaw3d-1.5
Xft-2.1_8

This is what I see from 'dmesg | grep drm' :

drm0: <ATI Radeon LW Mobility 7 (AGP)> port 0xcc00-0xccff mem 0xfcff0000-0xfcffffff,0xe0000000-0xe7ffffff irq 11 at device 0.0 on pci1
info: [drm] AGP at 0xe8000000 64MB
info: [drm] Initialized radeon 1.8.0 20020828 on minor 0

Here is the output of 'head /var/log/XFree86.0.log' :

XFree86 Version 4.3.0 (DRI trunk)
Release Date: 27 February 2003
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0, Release 6.6
Build Operating System: FreeBSD 4.8-RELEASE i386 [ELF]
Build Date: 09 August 2003
        Before reporting problems, check http://www.XFree86.Org/
Module Loader present

The above was built on 08/03/03 in the evening.

Here is 'uname -a':

FreeBSD NitroPhys.welchsmnet.net 4.8-RELEASE FreeBSD 4.8-RELEASE #1: Thu May 29 11:24:46 CDT 2003     welchsm_at_NitroPhys.welchsmnet.net:/usr/src/sys/compile/NITROPHYS  i386

The kernel is compiled with SSE support.

I have tried turning off all options in the config file and
different AGP modes.  I always get the same results.

My 5.1-RELEASE install is just using the X off the install
disc with the kernel module that shipped with it.  Same exact
issues.

I believe I saw a commit to DRI CVS a while back that was
supposed to address this very issue (comment said something
about locks on logout with GDM) but it didn't change anything
for me.

Let me know what else you'd like to have in the way of info.

                                                  Sean