Re: Radeon 7500 w/ DRI locking on restart of X

From: Sean Welch <welchsm_at_earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 23:42:52 -0500 (GMT)
Okay, one more message before I *finally* go to bed.

I got kind of excited by the stuff below...

I decided to update my DRI install to see if things
would improve.  Now 4.8-RELEASE responds to the
forcepcimode option nearly as well as 5.1-RELEASE does
for me!  I thought I had it made -- I've even found
that a resume from hard drive with DRI enabled doesn't
lock the machine!!  That has *NEVER* worked before!

Then I tried a switch to a virtual terminal and back.

I get a corrupted color map with lock followed shortly
thereafter by a reboot.  I booted up under 5.1 and
verified that this does *not* happen there.  I didn't
try a suspend/resume sequence there but I expect it
works there as well.

I'm guessing this is just a glitch in the DRI CVS code
at the moment.  The source is from around 9 08/26/03
and the output of 'dmesg | grep drm' is:

drm0: <ATI Radeon LW Mobility 7500 M7> port 0xcc00-0xccff mem 0xfcff0000-0xfcffffff,0xe0000000-0xe7ffffff irq 11 at device 0.0 on pci1
info: [drm] AGP at 0xe8000000 64MB
info: [drm] Initialized radeon 1.9.0 20020828 on minor 0

It also seems that in most cases the performance hit is
not as great as I had thought.

If this works as well on the desktop machines I think I can
work around the vt switching issue for the moment.

Does any of this suggest anything to you, Eric?  Anything I
can help test?

                                                  Sean