ata crash when disk io saturated on laptop...

From: Sean Chittenden <sean_at_chittenden.org>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 10:35:05 -0700
I haven't been able to get any kind of a stack trace, but if I run two
'cvs up's at the same time on my laptop (one of /usr/src, the other of
/usr/ports), my laptop eventually locks up in what looks like the disk
thrashing continually.  When I pull the plug and restart, I am only
able to find this in the logs:

Aug 27 10:05:44 localhost kernel: ad0: READ command timeout tag=0 serv=0 - resetting
Aug 27 10:05:44 localhost kernel: ata0: resetting devices ..
Aug 27 10:05:44 localhost kernel: done
[boot msg follows]

I can let my laptop sit for up to 5min grinding away, but caps lock
doesn't work, acpi doesn't work, and my drive just cranks away
resetting itself as fast as it can (resetting itself frequently
given the sounds) in a nasty unbreakable loop.  The HDD is a few
months old and has been pretty battle proven to date, though I'd never
done anything quite this disk intensive.  It doesn't happen instantly
either, it takes a good 5min or so before the drive begins to stumble.
The relevant dmesg info:

atapci0: <Intel PIIX4 UDMA33 controller> port 0x860-0x86f at device 7.1 on pci0
ata0: at 0x1f0 irq 14 on atapci0
ata1: at 0x170 irq 15 on atapci0
ad0: 38154MB <IC25N040ATCS04-0> [77520/16/63] at ata0-master UDMA33

hw.ata.ata_dma: 1
hw.ata.wc: 1
hw.ata.tags: 0
hw.ata.atapi_dma: 0

What's more odd, however, is that I can't reproduce this if I'm not
listening to MP3s, it's like the extra interrupts from the snd card
push it over the edge in terms of latency and the kernel improperly
resets ad0 or resets it incorrectly.

Soren, is this something that would be addressed in your recent ATAng
commit? :-/

-sc

--
Sean Chittenden