Re: nvidia.ko freezes system in -current

From: David Taylor <davidt_at_yadt.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 21:13:01 +0100
On Thu, 28 Aug 2003, Christoph Kukulies wrote:
> I cvsuped world and kernel today, built world, installed world,
> did a reinstall (with compilation) of the nvidia module 1.0-4365
> and the kernel module loads fine but when I startx I get
> a few screen flashes and the reboot.
>
> I have agp_load="YES" in loader.conf (as I had before).
> I did not choose WITH_FREBSD_AGP as the port makefile
> gives as option.
>
> Need urgent help since I did this (boo boo) on a production server
> Well the server runs (httpd) but I have no X at the moment and
> I cannot afford frequent compiles and reboots at the moment.

You should try either:

A)
	comment out agp_load="YES"
	compile nvidia-driver without WITH_FREEBSD_AGP

or

B)
	leave agp_load"YES"
	compile nvidia-driver with WITH_FREEBSD_AGP

I used to run WITH_FREEBSD_AGP / agp_load="YES" (because it was unstable
otherwise), but recently cvsuped to -CURRENT, and discovered that the
opposite was now more stable (WITH_FREEBSD_AGP/agp_load="YES" now causes
my computer to lockup regularly when in X).

I suggest you try the opposite setting and see if that helps.  Also keep
WITH_FREEBSD_AGP and agp_load in 'sync'.

--
David Taylor
davidt_at_yadt.co.uk