Re: HEADS UP! ATAng committed

From: Glenn Johnson <glennpj_at_charter.net>
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2003 00:18:23 -0500
On Fri, Aug 29, 2003 at 11:56:57PM -0500, Glenn Johnson wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 29, 2003 at 11:02:13PM -0500, wrote:

> > > Strange. No messages on the system console?
> >
> > Well, I did a fresh cvsup, re-enabled the atapicam bits in my kernel
> > config, rebuilt/reinstalled world and kernel.  I rebooted and
> > started a Gnome session and starting nautilus did *not* cause the
> > system to hang.  The problem just went away.  I did see that there
> > were some commits to some ATA files so maybe that was it.
>
> I guess I wrote that too soon, it just locked up again.  This time
> though, the machine rebooted after about 10 seconds so I could not get
> to another machine to see if I could poke around.

Another data point: If I start a non-gnome session, and then launch
nautilus, it does not crash the system.  However, when I start a gnome
session, the machine crashes when nautilus loads.  If I take atapicam
out of my kernel config, rebuild/reinstall the kernel, I do not get any
crashes at all.  Why it worked a couple of times earlier this evening I
do not know.

--
Glenn Johnson
glennpj_at_charter.net