Re: -current lockup (how to diagnose?)

From: Melvyn Sopacua <freebsd-current_at_webteckies.org>
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2003 14:39:56 +0100
On Monday 01 December 2003 09:02, Soren Schmidt wrote:

> It seems Jun Kuriyama wrote:
> > I got lockups in recent -current box.  This box is my main workstation
> > and usually be up to date kernel.
> >
> > In recent days, I usually locked up.  This is not a panic, only locks
> > up.  My situation is:
> >
> > o KDE's clock is working.
> > o KDE's virtual screen switching is working.
> > o Apache does not reply on 80/tcp from remote.
> > o ssh from this box is still working.

But ssh *to* the box doesn't right?

> > o zsh on this box does not go next prompt when I press enter key at
> >   promprt.
> >
> > It looks kernel is working, but fork/exec is not working when I enter
> > to this situation.
>
> Hmm, I've been seeing something semilar a couble of times, can you do a
> ps -axl and see if those processes hang around in vm ?

I've had this on -STABLE as well and indeed KDE seems to be related. Also, I
recall this to happen during the security check or rebuilding the locate
database. I haven't seen this once I installed more memory.

A good tell-tale is:
* Switch to the console.
* Select another VT, via ALT-F2
* Type in the login name and press enter

You won't get a passwd prompt.

Most of the time I got outof it, by CTRL-ALT-F1 and CTRL-C.

I think I have a weekly run report somewhere, reporting 'vm exhaustion'
errors. I can dig it up if it's helpful.
At the time, the box had 128Megs of RAM and 256MB swap, P-III 450.
--
Melvyn

FreeBSD sarevok.webteckies.org 5.2-BETA FreeBSD 5.2-BETA #1: Sat Nov 29
00:15:33 CET 2003     root_at_sarevok.webteckies.org:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/
SAREVOK_NOFW_DBG  i386