Re: -current lockup (how to diagnose?)

From: Robert Watson <rwatson_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2003 09:23:21 -0500 (EST)
On Mon, 1 Dec 2003, Jun Kuriyama wrote:

> I got lockups in recent -current box.  This box is my main workstation
> and usually be up to date kernel.
>
> In recent days, I usually locked up.  This is not a panic, only locks
> up.  My situation is:
>
> o KDE's clock is working.
> o KDE's virtual screen switching is working.
> o Apache does not reply on 80/tcp from remote.
> o ssh from this box is still working.
> o zsh on this box does not go next prompt when I press enter key at
>   promprt.
>
> It looks kernel is working, but fork/exec is not working when I enter to
> this situation.
>
> So, what can I diagnose with this situation?  Of course this box has
> serial console.

This could be a sign of a VM or VFS lock leak or deadlock.  I'd advise
hooking up a serial console, dropping to DDB over serial line, and posting
the results of "ps" and "show lockedvnods".  We might then ask you to use
the "show locks" command on various processes.  You'll need to have DDB
and WITNESS compiled in.

robert_at_fledge.watson.org      Senior Research Scientist, McAfee Research