Re: Ports startup scripts in /etc/rc.d (Re: 5.2-BETA and related ports issues)

From: Matthias Andree <ma_at_dt.e-technik.uni-dortmund.de>
Date: Mon, 01 Dec 2003 23:27:31 +0100
Robert Watson <rwatson_at_freebsd.org> writes:

> (1) Combine / and /usr into a single file system by default, and add
>     /usr/local/etc/rc.d to the search order, with appropriate hacks to
>     handle old-style scripts.  The devil will be in the bikeshed, but the
>     implementation is easy, except for the bit where we explain that
>     NFS-mounted /usr/local won't work too well.

I'd discourage that. It's fairly intrusive and breaks existing
setups. I'm NOT going to repartition and reinstall!

> (2) Reevaluate the order at routine points in the boot where new scripts
>     might now be available (due to file system mounts or whatever).
>     Essentially "insert the new cards into the deck, and shuffle".  This
>     requires rethinking of our current approach, which assumes a static
>     order is created once at the start of the boot by rcorder(8).  The
>     devil will be in the big picture *and* the details of the
>     implementation.

I don't think there shall be devils in the implementation details. I
admit not having looked at rcorder yet, but dependencies can be passed
on from one rcorder run to the next, through the usual process
environment.

> (3) Add /local/etc/rc.d or /local/rc.d or /etc/local/rc.d or the like, a
>     new directory that third party applications are allowed to modify
>     during install, and that will be present for the creation of the
>     static ordering by rcorder(8) early in the boot.  The devil will be in
>     the bikeshed, but the implementation is easy.

/etc/local/rc.d might work, it's quite similar to the /etc/opt approach
"configuration stuff for /opt applications" on Linux.

> I'm actually leaning towards (2) as being the best solution, as it's easy
> and functional.

Seconded from the user's view.

--
Matthias Andree