Re: [Fwd: re: ath0 lost connection]

From: Eric Anderson <anderson_at_centtech.com>
Date: Mon, 01 Dec 2003 21:52:28 -0600
Marcos Biscaysaqu wrote:

> After this I loss the connection and I have to restart the box:
> this is getting worse :(

I haven't seen the debug mode kill my box, but anything can happen on
-current :)

> ath_start: encapsulation failure
> ath_rate_ctl: 5M -> 2M (0 ok, 1 err, 1 retr)

These ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ are what I am talking about - I think when
the signal is low or the connection is lossy (dropping packets or
something) it auto drops the rate to a lower number (as it should) - and
this is when you are  seeing the delays, dropped packets, whatever.  If
you set the rate to a static number (say, 2M), then possibly it won't
attempt any changes, and you can at least know what is causing the
packet loss.

[..snip..]

> ath_rate_ctl: 5M -> 11M (10 ok, 0 err, 0 retr)

Now the signal got better, so it bumped it up to 11M..

> ath_start: encapsulation failure

I have no idea what that is trying to tell you .. (besides the obvious)

> ath_rate_ctl: 2M -> 1M (0 ok, 1 err, 1 retr)

If you are down to 1M, I think you may need to check signal strength and
such.  I'd start with my testing near the AP (in sight of it at least).

Eric

All generalizations are false, including this one.