Re: 4 -> 5 Problem

From: Barney Wolff <barney_at_databus.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2003 13:31:49 -0500
On Tue, Dec 02, 2003 at 05:27:12PM -0000, Lawrence Farr wrote:
> I get this error when trying to install the kernel,
> the same kernel installs fine on the box that made it.
>
> root_at_galaga:/usr/src# make installkernel

I've observed this when installing on a different system than the
build system.  I got it after building/installing several times
on the build system before trying to installkernel on another system
with /usr/src and /usr/obj nfs-mounted.  The problem appeared to be
that the stuff in the legacy directory under /usr/obj is built
assuming that what's on the build system will work under the prior
kernel - which is true on the build system but not necessarily on
the target system.

My solution was to edit (temporarily) /usr/src/Makefile.inc1 to
put /usr/bin first in the PATH set up for the reinstallkernel
target.  That allowed make installkernel to succeed on the target
system. Then I rebooted the target and backed out the change to
/usr/src/Makefile.inc1, and after that make installworld and
mergemaster went fine as usual.

I didn't delve deeply enough to figure out what a cleaner fix would
be, but this should probably be a PR as otherwise the 5.2 upgrade
may be "difficult" for people who build and install on separate boxes.

--
Barney Wolff         http://www.databus.com/bwresume.pdf
I'm available by contract or FT, in the NYC metro area or via the 'Net.