Re: FreeBSD 5.x and "Bad File Descriptor" errors. Why?

From: Dan Naumov <dan.naumov_at_ofw.fi>
Date: Wed, 03 Dec 2003 17:55:29 +0200
Kris Kennaway wrote

>You get that error from what command(s)?  Have you tried with 5.2,
>which has a new ATA driver?
>
>Kris

I usually "discover" that I am having data corruption when trying to
update ports. A file that has a "Bad File Descriptor" refuses to let
cvsup overwrite and/or remove itself. I've also had "make installworld"
fail on me for the very same reason. A file in the base system would get
corrupted and would prevent anything from overwriting itself. These
problems would go away after a full system fsck, but the fsck would
remove the damaged files completely, sometimes leaving the system in a
severely broken state. And even if it did not, data corruption would
happen again in 8-12 days.

Sincerely,
Dan Naumov