Re: FreeBSD 5.x and "Bad File Descriptor" errors. Why?

From: Doug White <dwhite_at_gumbysoft.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2003 15:20:06 -0800 (PST)
On Wed, 3 Dec 2003, Dan Naumov wrote:

> causing this bizarre behavior ? If this is of any help, the exact model
> number of the HD is "MAXTOR 4K040H2" and I was using UFS2 on both
> drives. Thanks in advance.

Maxtor has a diag tool that goes onto a floppy that you could run. I have
this exact disk in my sparc64 here and the first time I used it, it kept
running over bad sectors and generally causing mayhem. Running the full
scan with the tool, it prompted to fix some problems, then the bad sectors
went away. I reinstalled the OS to clear out the broken files and I never
had any problems afterward.

The program is called PowerMax and is available from the downloads section
under either diagnostics or utilities.