Re: 5.2-RELEASE TODO

From: Sten <sten_at_blinkenlights.nl>
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2003 01:08:18 +0100 (CET)
On Wed, 3 Dec 2003, Tom wrote:

> On Tue, 2 Dec 2003, Eric Anderson wrote:
>
> > Tom wrote:
> >
> > >  Just to be complete, there are already a whole bunch of machines that
> > >will not boot 5.x, irregardless of the ACPI issues.  I've never been able
> > >to boot 5.x with ACPI on or off, on any of the 5 Dell PowerEdge 6350
> > >servers I have here, even though they run 4.9 perfectly.  I have a PR open
> > >on it.
> > >
> > >  So even without the ACPI issues on some hardware, there are still other
> > >reasons why 5.x is going to fail to boot.
> > >

> > Are you using a PERC in those boxes?  I've seen issues with PERC
> > controllers on 5.1, but 4.8 worked fine.  I received a patch, which
> > fixed it, but it's a bit hard to install the os, and then rebuild world
> > without rebooting the machine. :)
>
>   Well, there are so many kinds of PERC cards.  Some are just Mylex cards.
> Others are MegaRAID.  I think they use some Adaptec now.

1550 = lsi megaraid
1650 = adaptec
1750 = lsi megaraid
2550 = adaptec
( don't know the 2650 card just know ).

perc stands for poweredge raid controller, so perc just means
"dell raid card" nothing more nothing less. And with the dell
habit of switching vendors every model that ain't very informative.

--
Sten Spans

There is a crack in everything that's how the light gets in.