Re: 5.2-BETA: giving up on 4 buffers (ata)

From: Bruce Cran <bruce_at_cran.org.uk>
Date: Sat, 6 Dec 2003 16:48:18 +0000
On Sat, Dec 06, 2003 at 10:47:46AM +0100, Arjan van Leeuwen wrote:

> > > FYI, I'm still seeing this problem on a -CURRENT system from today. Is
> > > there any way I can help to diagnose the cause of this problem? Is there
> > > already a fix available somewhere?
> >
> > No need.  It was diagnosed over 3 months ago (see PR 56675).  I don't know
> > of any publicly available fix.  My version of ext2fs avoids the bug by
> > doing buffering differently.
> >
> > As a workaround, unmount ext2fs file systems before rebooting.
> > Unmounting most file systems before rebooting should be the default
> > anyway (handled by shutdown(8) and reboot(8)), since unmounting may
> > fail and vfs_unmountall() in the kernel has no good way to log errors.
>
> Thanks. It won't help though, as I don't have any ext2fs file systems, only
> UFS. Also, my problem isn't 3 months old - I'm only seeing it since a few
> weeks.

I've been seeing this problem for a good few months now - if I boot into
single-user mode (using boot -s), fsck the (UFS2 only) disks and then type
'reboot', the system will always give up on at least 1 buffer, sometimes
even 4 or 5.   Of course, since / was mounted ro the filesystem is still
clean when the system is rebooted, but it seems something thinks there's
data to be written to a read-only filesystem!  The root filesystem is UFS2
without softupdates.

--
Bruce Cran