Re: Incompatibility between ACPI and the X server

From: Doug White <dwhite_at_gumbysoft.com>
Date: Sun, 7 Dec 2003 13:22:17 -0800 (PST)
On Sun, 7 Dec 2003, Thierry Herbelot wrote:

> I'm trying to update a notebook, to run 5.2. The beast is an oldish Vaio
> PC-F707 (Pent-III + Neomagic).
>
> When booting with ACPI enabled, X-Windows just stays "frozen" : the screen is
> blanked, then there is no more progress (and no log in /var/log/XFree.log).
> When booting without ACPI, X-Windows runs happily.
>
> How do I help debugging this problem ? When the screen is frozen, I can't
> escape to the kernel debugger.

You can set up a serial console and use that to hit the debugger. You can
also see if that is causing a full hang of the system or if just X is
stuck. Check the kernel debugging section of the Handbook for details.

It sounds like, though, that the ACPI tables on your system are not
routing interrupts or otherwise specifying correct resources for your
video card.  You should capture the output of boot -v (serial console is
also handy for this) and use acpidump to grab your ACPI tables.

> PS3 : an ACPI dump is accessible at http://thierry.herbelot.free.fr/foo.asl

On the ball there :)

Also, nitpick: It's "X" or "X11" or "XFree86", but never "X-Windows."