Re: dev/em: Link is not up until 2 seconds after "ifconfig up"

From: Dan Nelson <dnelson_at_allantgroup.com>
Date: Sun, 7 Dec 2003 20:09:41 -0600
In the last episode (Dec 08), Jun Kuriyama said:
> At Sun, 7 Dec 2003 15:04:51 +0600 (NOVT),
> Maxim M. Kazachek wrote:
> > 	Did you tried to specify link speed rather than use autosence.
> > Perhaps this delay is due to media sense?
>
> Hmm, no luck.  I've fixed the speed and mediaopt both of em(4) and
> switch, but it shows autoselect state and no carrier...

You may need to disable other stuff too; modern switches autosense much
more than just speed and duplex.  Cisco switches have enough features
enabled on their ports by default that it can take up to 30 seconds for
traffic to start passing after plugging in a cable.

Do you really need to down then up your interface for vrrp to work?
Why can't you just change the MAC address on the fly?  If I change the
MAC address on my active card with "ifconfig fxp0 ether
01:02:03:04:05:06", it sends out a gratuitous arp to let everyone know
of the change, and traffic never stops.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson_at_allantgroup.com