Re: Latest kernel couldn't probe DVD-Drive in Secondary/Slave

From: Christoph Sold <cs_at_cheasy.de>
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2003 21:22:26 +0100
On Sunday 07 December 2003 22:09, Doug White wrote:
> On Sat, 6 Dec 2003, MIHIRA Sanpei Yoshiro wrote:
> > Hi.
> >
> >   After updating kernel in -current machine, DVD-Drive in ATA
> > Secondary/Slave was not probed.
> >
> >   If I back out sys/dev/ata/ata-lowlevel.c rev. 1.24, I could probe
> > it.
> >
> > # atacontrol list
> > ATA channel 0:
> >     Master:  ad0 <IC35L040AVER07-0/ER4OA46A> ATA/ATAPI rev 5
> >     Slave:       no device present
> > ATA channel 1:
> >     Master:      no device present
> >     Slave:  acd0 <IDE DVD-ROM 16X/V3.10> ATA/ATAPI rev 0  <-- not
> > probed with latest kernel
>
> Note that in most cases, this is an unsupported configuration. Your
> CD drive should be set to master/single.  Is there some reason you
> need it set up this way?

Most CD/DVD ROM drives come jumpered to slave. Windoze supports the
configuration. Thus many integrators don't bother to reset the jumper
to its correct position.

Yes, this configuration is plain wrong, but if it helps Joe User to
support this config, I'm in for it. Anyhow, backing out ata-lowlevel.c
1.24 will again break a number of hard disk master/slave combinations
including mine -- see my previous thread a few days ago.

HTH
-Christoph Sold